Srirangapatna is a suburb of Mysore today set beside the river Cauvery. For a brief period in its history it functioned as the capital of the Mysore state during the rule of Tippu Sultan. Situated on an island mid -stream in the river is the Srirangapatinam fort and contained within its ramparts is the Dariya Daulat Palace (Summer Palace).
Built in 1784 and surrounded by serene and beautiful gardens called Daria Daulat Bagh, the palace is designed in the Indo Sarcenic style and for most part made of teak. The most stellar feature of the palace is that almost all the space inside – on the walls, pillars, canopies and arches are painted with vivid colourful frescoes, delicate graphic patterns of foliage and floral patterns. The wooden ceilings inside are pasted with canvas also painted over with floral patterns. The top floor of the Daria Daulat Palace is devoted to the Tippu Sultan Museum that displays a collection of Tippu era memorabilia, – mainly European paintings and Persian manuscripts.